Playa del Carmen, the trendiest destination in the Mexican Caribbean
What you need to know
- It’s located about 37 mi (60 km) south of Cancun International Airport and is the heart of the Riviera Maya.
- Playa del Carmen was known as Xaman-Há hundreds of years ago. From this zone nearby Polé (now Xcaret), departed each year a pilgrimage to Cozumel to pay tribute to the goddess Ixchel. Nowadays it is re-created during the Sacred Mayan Journey. From its docks, you can take a ferry boat to Cozumel Island.
- Fifth Avenue is the town’s core. It’s steps away from the beach and offers hundreds of options for shopping, having fun, and restaurants, plus being the perfect spot to walk as the sun goes down.
- Playa del Carmen is minutes away from the best parks in the Riviera Maya, such as Xcaret, Xel-Há, Xplor, Xplor Fuego, and Xenses.
- This destination has a thrilling nightlife, relaxing beach clubs, and dining options from all around the globe.
Playa del Carmen is for every type of traveler. It’s a great place to rest or to take a family vacation. It’s also a destination to party, or the departure point for adventures full of adrenaline.